Historically, France always supported cultural diversity of artists around the world. For this reason, it offers many tools to promote the artists and their works and enable filmmakers who have this desire to concrete their production.
Among the various helps that France has to offer to support international production and distribution :
The filmmakers from any country can apply to World Cinema Support’s grant (Aide aux Cinémas du Monde) for screenwriting, production and post-production. Regarding the amount of aid, there is ceiling of € 250,000 for pre-filming subsidy and of € 50,000 for post-filming subsidy. The amount awarded may not exceed 50% of the French financing part. However, this limit is raised to 80% if the project is a director’s first or second feature-length film, for films with a budget lower than € 1,250,000, or for those co-produced with low-income countries. Regarding the spending obligations, at least 50% of the subsidy granted must be spent by the production company established in France. An additional 25% of the aid granted must be spent by the foreign production company, for projects co-produced with countries that have weak film industries.
More info here : www.cnc.fr/web/en/aide-aux-cinemas-du-monde (in English)
On-line form to apply : www.cnc.fr/web/fr/formulaires-en-ligne (in French)
Festivals’ workshops & supports :
- Produire au Sud’s workshop (Festival des 3 Continents) for producers: www.3continents.com/en/produire-au-sud/reglement-permanent/
- Cinéfondation’s workshop for film directors : www.cinefondation.com/en/atelierrules#
- Emergence, for young authors and directors to develop their first feature film : www.emergence-cinema.fr
- Dreamago, for any screenwriter who has a first draft or a powerful script : www.dreamago.com/plume-pellicule/
- Résidence Cinéfondation, for directors to work on there first or second feature film project : www.cinefondation.com/en/generalinformation
- Périphérie, for directors to work on their documentary film project :
UniFrance : an agency dedicated to French Cinema promotion
Any distributors which launches a French film abroad can :
- apply to UniFrance distribution financial support
- ask UniFrance to invite talents in their country.
More info : en.unifrance.org/corporate
FilmFrance : to shoot in France
FilmFrance is a state-funding agency in charge of promoting France as a shooting destination. It provides free information on locations, crews, labour rates and facilities. It also give assistance with contacting appropriate agencies regarding immigration work permits, filming permits, as well as information regarding studio facilities, post-production facilities and suppliers.
Lastly, it provides information about coproduction opportunities in France and assists oreign producer who want to apply for the Tax Rebate for International Production.
More info at : www.filmfrance.net/v2/gb/home.cfm
The Regional Audiovisual Department
The Regional Audiovisual Department supports distributors and exhibitors to highlight and to promote French films of their catalogue by bringing financial support. It also provides advices & expertise and also networking between the professionals of the sector.